Search This Blog

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Welcome!

Welcome to Jackie's Gluten-Free Blog!

About 6 months ago, my father-in-law was diagnosed as gluten, wheat and yeast intolerant. When I married my husband, I became the baker and "dough girl" of the family, and my father-in-law was one of the chief lovers of my baked goods: sticky sweet cinnamon rolls, rich gooey cakes, and fresh-baked rolls and breads--all, of course, laden with the forbidden wheat, gluten and yeast. Unwilling to give up the joy of producing baked goods that my father-in-law could enjoy, I started on a journey to learn about gluten-free baking and "flours." It seemed an overwhelming task at first, and there was a time when, discouraged by the "heavy-bricks" and "barn-feed" I was producing, I was tempted to give up and just buy store-bought mixes. But the high cost of store-bought gluten-free mixes, combined with the limited variety they offered, along with being somewhat of a "kitchen chemist," spurred me on to pursue an understanding of exactly how gluten-free "flours" worked.

While I am still on that learning journey, I can joyously share that my gluten-free "barn-feed" has in many cases become so delicious that my husband (who has no problems with gluten) will often choose the gluten-free desserts and breads over the regular ones.

On this forum I hope to share some of the tips that I have learned that have made my gluten-free baking successful, as well as give technical details about different gluten-free flours, and share some of our favorite gluten-free recipes. It is my hope also that others will join in and contribute what they have learned--and even some of their ongoing questions--so that this forum can be a learning-aid for us all.

Whether you are at the beginning of your gluten-free journey, or whether you have had years' experience in this arena, I wish you Happy Gluten-Free Baking!

Jackie Ladomato, author of Jackie's Gluten-Free Blog and owner of http://www.naturalsuppliesonline.com/ (which also offers a selection of gluten-free baking products for sale)

No comments:

Post a Comment